Monday, November 8, 2010

An open letter to Arlington County Republicans

I sent an email to a list of about ten volunteers to the Arlington County Republican Committee. As the new precinct captain. I thought it was time I stepped up and did a little more than post my thoughts on facebook. Based on the election results in my home district, there's a lot that needs to be done. Here's what I sent. Please forward to like minded folks in the Arlington area.

Despite the best efforts of some very dedicated candidates, the efforts to elect Patrick Murray and Mark Kelly to Congress and the County Board, respectively, fell short. Significantly short.


Rather than continue to gaze at our collective navels and wonder how Arlington can remain such a deep blue county, I'm challenging each of you to become more active in the next two years. Now, as always, Republican candidates need our support if we're to take the progress made by Colonel Murray and Mr. Kelly to the next level.


As you've all volunteered with the Arlington County Republicans at various times, I'm reaching out to ask for your assistance. I would very much like to see a Republican win the Precinct 1 vote in 2012. So I volunteered to be the new Precinct 1 captain and will push to reach that goal.


I know it's an uphill battle. At best, the Republican candidate won 35% of the vote last week. At worst, the Democrat won 57%. In our precinct, numbers were even more daunting. We won 27%. Obviously, there is work to be done. But if you haven't already seen it, please take a few minutes to read this article from the Sun Gazette.




Next year represents a fantastic opportunity to take a step towards 2012. And it gives the Republicans a possible foothold into Arlington and Virginia government. Virginia District 49 is in play - so the opportunity to unseat Adam Ebbin (who won 100% of the vote in 2009 and hasn't faced an opponent from the Republican Party. Ever. Have we really given up that much hope???)


I hope you will join me, then, in reaching out to your neighbors and friends. There is much that can be done in this area, and I'm hopeful I can count on your help in the coming year. I will keep everyone informed on opportunities to help grow the Republican message and, if you're amenable, hope to meet with each of you in the coming months. In the interim, please don't hesitate to contact me with ideas (or complaints) of how we might make Arlington county a bit more red in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment