Sunday, October 11, 2009

October Update

It’s been a while since I wrote, so I thought to drop a quick little update on September, my second month in the UAE. The short version:

1) Spent three 8 hour days dealing with the UAE DMV. You think the DMV is rough in the US, try explaining to an Emirati woman sitting behind a desk (while mostly talking with her friends instead of the customers…I know, not much different than the US in that respect) why “None” on a US Driver’s License can actually grant permission for someone to drive a car in the US.

Still, after 3 days, I have a Driver’s License in the UAE. Glad they're so strict about licensing, given the clown cars on the roads here.

2) It only took 2 months to get my UAE residence permit. I’m now officially an expat. Just in time for the World Series, real (read: American. Mostly NCAA, but I appreciate the NFL) football, and Fall. It was 108 today. 108. In October? That’s just silly.

3) I imported my bimmer into the UAE. Got it through customs by myself. Apparently, my Arabic isn’t as bad as I thought. It only took me 5 hours to work that magic.

4) RE: my poor Arabic. While driving to church on Friday, I was listening to the BBC in Arabic. “Blah, blah, blah, Obama, blah, blah, blah, Nobel Prize.” Stupified, I turned to my wife and said, “There’s no way I heard that right.” Then flipped to the English side of the radio dial and heard a Brit talking about how “Obama hasn’t really DONE anything to promote peace. He hasn’t closed Gitmo, troops are still in Iraq, he’s sending more to Afghanistan (bmw comment: maybe…), and the Russians are still doing a bit of nuclear knocking on Eastern Europe's door."

'xactly.

Yet somehow 5 retired (and mostly useless) Parliamentarians in Norway (which collects nearly 50% of it’s GDP through taxes, by the way) think the One deserves to join the illustrious ranks of Yassir Arafat, Jimmy Carter, and Al Gore.

5) I'm spending a lot of time in the desert. Last week, I had to stay here. So, Kimberly came down for a night and I took a picture of her on the beach. I'm leaning toward the color version, though the black and white (especially a larger version) looks pretty good too. Either way, I'm a lucky man.



Think that about covers it. Oh, and it's my birthday next week...in case you wanted to get me a ticket to come to the US to celebrate...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update ... good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff, Ben. Keep it coming and try not to get into any nasty drag races with the locals.

    ReplyDelete